Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Pearl Jam Prescience


On December 2nd, Pearl Jam played the Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu. I was there, and it'd been 15 years in the making. As a teenager in the Seattle area during the early 1990's, Eddie Vedder was my idol. He was my inspiration during the freshman talent show when my band and I decided not to compromise our lyrics after they were deemed inappropriate by the administration. (They had a "Jeremy-esque" theme). My friend Tim gives an accurate account of the PJ show.
As a pre-show fun activity, some friends and I decided to do a little research and generate our own predicted playlists for the show for a little wagering. We bet on things like first song, closing song, etc. I was feeling very Pearl-prescient, scoring with calls like, "Oceans" and "Why Go." But what made the show especially powerful and put it in the category, like Tim writes, of "best show ever," was the way the songs seemed to speak to Hawaii. Here's a found poem of PJ lyrics that do just that:

Lemon yellow sun
Ruled his world
The oceans away
Guide me towards you
The sea will rise...
Please stand by the shore
I'll ride the wave
Where it takes me
I'll wait up in the dark
For you to speak to me
To the ocean of my platitudes
Longitudes, latitudes, it's so absurd

No comments: